“You might as well expect the rivers to run backward as that any man who was born free should be contented to be penned up and denied liberty to go where he pleases.”
– Chief Joseph Nez Perce (Nimiputimt)
I despise the term Native American and think the use of Aboriginal American is more appropriate. Russell Means told the Federal government the Lakota Sioux were going to secede and we are still waiting. The American Indians are ideally positioned to break away from the US in the most expeditious means possible if they would simply do it. Since first contact in the early sixteenth century, the original inhabitants of the North American continent have been getting a raw deal. Treaty after treaty has been broken and the concomitant trail of tears has been a veritable river.
Beset by government largesse that has largely subsidized sloth, alcoholism and slavish dependency on welfare transfers, they are the poster child for how a government can quite literally destroy a sliver of humanity through a dependency that poisons the soul and eradicates any notion of independence.
The Lakota are five years running after petitioning the State Department for withdrawal. And so far nothing, so what is a Indian secessionist to do. Maybe they can become North America’s first “returnist” movement trying to advocate for complete divorce and reparations. Reparations is not necessarily the notion of salary and benefits for aggrieved parties as some black elements have advocated for because the term technically means a return or a “making whole” of the parties. In the case of American Indians, they have an originalist claim to large swaths of America while black slaves would legally be advocating for a return to their respective homelands in Africa. A return to that continent may make them less than whole depending on where they happen to land.
The tribes need to take the initiative and stop the intruders by waging a soft revolution that refuses to accept any poisoned subsidy on reservation land and take some of the following steps:
- Federal Reserve Notes would longer be accepted as currency and only conversion to hard specie currencies like minted silver, gold or composite value currency could be used
- Take gambling to the next level and declare that the IRS is no longer welcome on tribal land and all winning by even US residents will no longer be considered winnings taxable and no proof of winnings would be provided to the Federal government and all winners would be paid in cash only
- Immediately declare ALL federal law null and void and unenforceable on penalty of arrest and confinement for all remaining Federal and State agents on tribal land. Give them 48 hours to leave or swear allegiance to the local tribal entity
- The tribes can send a bill to the IRS insisting that four hundred years of estimated taxes have been calculated and they would expect remuneration for penalties and interest paid to put teeth to the notion of kicking the Feds out
- Declare that American firearms laws have no force in tribal boundaries and build the greatest small arms industry America has seen since before the infamous 1934 National Firearms Act that started the choke-hold on American firearms ownership in these united States
- Build an all volunteer Army within the confines of every reservation by eradicating ALL gun laws and encouraging the possession of any infantry arms any of the world’s armies employ on the battlefield
- Decriminalize all drugs and declare international/national zones non-aboriginals can come to imbibe in their drug of choice
- Seek diplomatic ties with other nations and insist on a seat in the United Nations similar to the consular activities of the extant Palestinian movement. China would be very interested in pursuing formal recognition to plant seeds of division in the American body politic
- Use gambling proceeds to finance spot rebellions and flash protests throughout the US
- Institute the shunning and non-fulfillment of services to any Federal employees on tribal land so they can’t order a meal in a restaurant or find a hotel room
- Insist on the repatriation from US jails of all aboriginal American inmates to include Leonard Peltier
- Offer economic citizenship and passports to any American citizen (non-aboriginal) in order to provide a service for any American who wish to renounce their US citizenship (except for death, this is the only way to get the IRS out of your your affairs)
- Minimize or liquidate the size of government by reversing vote incentives in congressional bodies e.g., ten percent of the vote would be necessary to lower or eradicate taxes or laws and super-majorities would be necessary to increase taxes and regulations
ALL nations are born in divorce and secession from other imperial or dying nation-states. It is the natural ecology of governments around the world as they create unsustainable hothouses of dependency and oppression that inspire the orchids of liberty that briefly spawn. I say briefly because the fire of liberty and freedom is usually quickly extinguished by the weed of rot and tyranny we call modern government.
There are less than one percent of the US population that is recognized as aboriginal but the reservations are everywhere. These are potential hotspots that can flash into rebellious and seditious fiefdoms to complicate matters for the Federal government. One could only hope that these secession movements would spark the other movements that blossoming across the nation in Hawaii, the South and the Inland Northwest. Even Vermont.
If any interest group in the US has a more vested interest and legitimate complaint than the aboriginal Americans to leave the tentacled and fatal embrace of the US government, it is the Indians. May they prosper and see the light that the path to prosperity is not the government dole from an alien occupier but self-determination and freedom in the sphere of the city state or better yet, no state at all.
“This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there’s a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They’re gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I’m asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they’ll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.”
~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)