Author Topic: Watermelons on the March  (Read 149 times)

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
Re: Watermelons on the March
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
I seriously don't want to argue with you.
On the other hand, double digit miles on something the size of the earth is not a big deal unless you are firing a weapon at a target on the other side of said earth.

As for the "bulge" of water, my point was comparing Maryland and Florida to Alabama. Not the equator. But to compare the sand islands in the Indian Ocean to something similar, I would point to Midway Island. It's not sinking and it's near the equator.

'Everything before the "On the other hand" is bullshit'

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
The ellipsoid effect on earth is due solely to the fact that it's resting on the back of a giant tortoise. This effect can be seen clearly just by filling a water balloon and setting it on a solid object.

Don't mock my world turtle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n0IMB5vSw8

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »
The backbreaking somersaults that an atheist must do to avoid directly engaging theist arguments were...

No somersaults are required.  And, I can't recall ever having avoided any theist argument.  You can test your assumption at your convenience.

SonofLeto

• Thrall
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »
The backbreaking somersaults that an atheist must do to avoid directly engaging theist arguments were...

No somersaults are required.  And, I can't recall ever having avoided any theist argument.  You can test your assumption at your convenience.

BO! Hello sir!

All one must do is watch the debates of the four horsemen vs the likes of Craig and Lennox. Or read the literature that has been produced by said horsemen. For example Dawkins arguments against first cause is simply a rehash of the rehash in Why I am Not a Christian by Betrand Russell. There are atheists with substance, new atheism though is disappointing in this respect.

EDIT: I should be more specific as my language may be misleading. The literature and the debates I have seen with the new atheists I find to be uncompelling and am critical of their inability to engage directly with theistic arguments. My statement was not meant to lump all atheists in one category.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:34:43 PM by SonofLeto »
I aim to misbehave

- Malcolm Reynolds

BadQuaker

• Thrall
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 10:39:36 PM »
I seriously don't want to argue with you.
On the other hand, double digit miles on something the size of the earth is not a big deal unless you are firing a weapon at a target on the other side of said earth.

As for the "bulge" of water, my point was comparing Maryland and Florida to Alabama. Not the equator. But to compare the sand islands in the Indian Ocean to something similar, I would point to Midway Island. It's not sinking and it's near the equator.

'Everything before the "On the other hand" is bullshit'

That sounds like something Michael W Dean would say to divert the conversation when he has been shown in error. Perhaps you would like to call me a "lefty" now, as MWD would do.
If there is bullshit at hand you need only look in the mirror to find it.

I never look for a fight.
I usually sidestep controversy if possible.
But I don't step aside when nonsense is spewed directly at me. Neither do I suffer insults.
I have a long public record that proves that statement, and I don't hide behind a fake name. Even my home address is internet-public accessible.
People know me. They come to my house. We go shooting together. We have meals together.
I don't have any idea who you are, and you clearly can't make an argument without insults. So I will give you the last word on this, if you wish to counter with an actual argument, otherwise if you spew another insult I will act accordingly.

Bill

• Founder, Publisher and Collapsitarian
  • Administrator
  • Aesir
  • Founder, Publisher and Collapsitarian
    • zerogov.com
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 01:46:28 AM »
Anarchon (Bo), meet Ben. I know both of you personally and you are gentlemen, please abide by the house rules.

Let's argue and discuss with substance.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrE8vOM0ss
Gun control is mind control.

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 01:28:25 AM »

BO! Hello sir!

All one must do is watch the debates of the four horsemen vs the likes of Craig and Lennox. Or read the literature that has been produced by said horsemen. For example Dawkins arguments against first cause is simply a rehash of the rehash in Why I am Not a Christian by Betrand Russell. There are atheists with substance, new atheism though is disappointing in this respect.

EDIT: I should be more specific as my language may be misleading. The literature and the debates I have seen with the new atheists I find to be uncompelling and am critical of their inability to engage directly with theistic arguments. My statement was not meant to lump all atheists in one category.

I see.  I have no idea what a new atheist is.  It sounds like I may be better off for it.  I keep it simple...atheism = without belief in god(s), anarchism = without ruler(s).

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 02:02:37 AM »
That sounds like something Michael W Dean would say to divert the conversation when he has been shown in error. Perhaps you would like to call me a "lefty" now, as MWD would do.

But I don't step aside when nonsense is spewed directly at me. Neither do I suffer insults.
I have a long public record that proves that statement, and I don't hide behind a fake name. Even my home address is internet-public accessible.
People know me. They come to my house. We go shooting together. We have meals together.
I don't have any idea who you are, and you clearly can't make an argument without insults. So I will give you the last word on this, if you wish to counter with an actual argument, otherwise if you spew another insult I will act accordingly.

First off, I was not shown in error.  In fact, I corrected yours.  Secondly, that was a play on a popular quote from Ned Stark (a TV character)...that's why it was in quotes and italicized, and it was said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  It was not an insult.  But, you did prove the truth of it.  You said you didn't want to argue, then immediately did. 

And with that, I'm out.

P.S.  I have no idea who MWD is.
P.P.S.  Bill, I never was a gentleman.  I realize it as a failing, but changing that would change too many other things about myself that I like.

SonofLeto

• Thrall
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:35 AM »

I see.  I have no idea what a new atheist is.  It sounds like I may be better off for it.  I keep it simple...atheism = without belief in god(s), anarchism = without ruler(s).

New atheism was coined by Gary Wolf in 2006 for the aggressive rhetoric of a group of atheists among whom Harris, Dawkins, Dennett, were avid supporters along with the great late Hitchens. If you are an avid atheist reader I suppose you could enjoy them, the writing is typically well done and entertaining, I myself do not find them very stimulating though. The work of Bart Ehrman, Sean Carrol, and John Loftus (even though he appears to be a rather arrogant ass) I enjoy though I don't necessarily agree with them.

You may be keeping your definitions a little too vague my friend. A lack of belief in something holds no weight on whether such a thing exists. If we go by this definition of atheism then I am an atheist, so is my rabbit at home, it doesn't say much for the state of absolutes such as anarchy which would be a lack of rulers.
I aim to misbehave

- Malcolm Reynolds

BadQuaker

• Thrall
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 02:55:48 AM »

First off, I was not shown in error.  In fact, I corrected yours.  Secondly, that was a play on a popular quote from Ned Stark (a TV character)...that's why it was in quotes and italicized, and it was said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  It was not an insult.  But, you did prove the truth of it.  You said you didn't want to argue, then immediately did. 

And with that, I'm out.

P.S.  I have no idea who MWD is.
P.P.S.  Bill, I never was a gentleman.  I realize it as a failing, but changing that would change too many other things about myself that I like.

Interesting.
Not factual, but interesting.
I know nothing about "Ted Stark". Perhaps I should stare unblinking at the magic flashing box for a few hours a week and I would be more enlightened, as you are.
Until then, Midway Island is not sinking and you have provided no actual evidence of your claims. (delusions aside)
I expected as much.

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 03:03:42 AM »

New atheism was coined by Gary Wolf in 2006 for the aggressive rhetoric of a group of atheists among whom Harris, Dawkins, Dennett, were avid supporters along with the great late Hitchens. If you are an avid atheist reader I suppose you could enjoy them, the writing is typically well done and entertaining, I myself do not find them very stimulating though. The work of Bart Ehrman, Sean Carrol, and John Loftus (even though he appears to be a rather arrogant ass) I enjoy though I don't necessarily agree with them.

You may be keeping your definitions a little too vague my friend. A lack of belief in something holds no weight on whether such a thing exists. If we go by this definition of atheism then I am an atheist, so is my rabbit at home, it doesn't say much for the state of absolutes such as anarchy which would be a lack of rulers.

I see.  I typically don't read books on atheism nor anarchism.  I think just using logic is enough to understand it.  As for the definition being vague, it's not.  It's literal.  Theism speaks to beliefs as gnosticism speaks to knowledge.  Here's the breakout...

Agnostic Atheist:  I lack belief that god exists, but have no knowledge of it (a.k.a. weak or negative atheist)
Agnostic Theist:  I believe god exists, but have no knowledge of it
Gnostic Atheist:  I know god doesn't exist (a.k.a. strong or positive atheist)
Gnostic Theist:  I know god exists

Then to be even more precise...

Implicit Atheist:  Absence of belief without conscious objection
Explicit Atheist:  I'm aware of the concept of god and reject it

We are all born agnostic, implicit atheists.  And, for the record, I'm a strong explicit atheist.

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 03:09:32 AM »
Interesting.
Not factual, but interesting.
I know nothing about "Ted Stark". Perhaps I should stare unblinking at the magic flashing box for a few hours a week and I would be more enlightened, as you are.
Until then, Midway Island is not sinking and you have provided no actual evidence of your claims. (delusions aside)
I expected as much.

I didn't say the oceans were rising.  You may want to reread.

Anarchon

• Muad'Dib
  • Administrator
  • Radningar
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 05:26:12 AM »
My intent both with you and Connor were to offer some knowledge that you may not be aware of.  Notice how he handled it.  You and I should both aspire to be such a man.

BadQuaker

• Thrall
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
My intent both with you and Connor were to offer some knowledge that you may not be aware of.  Notice how he handled it.  You and I should both aspire to be such a man.
Your admission that you don't read books and your clear love of television are all I need to know about you. I doubt you can offer me knowledge I'm not aware of on these topics. You certainly haven't shown any on this thread. Again, for Bill's sake let's drop this unproductive banter.

BadQuaker

• Thrall
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »
I removed a post I made that was inappropriate. I'm sure admins can still see it.
I have been free from the internet for almost a year and it seems I have forgot that people say things through the safety of electronics that they would never say if face to face.

People don't talk to me with that level of disrespect when face to face. In real life I'm normally a very peaceful and even polite person, right up to the point that I'm not.

In the future I'll attempt to use more restraint while on this forum.