Author Topic: The Arrest of Jim Davidson, April 2nd, 2017  (Read 1738 times)

BenStone

• Thrall
The Arrest of Jim Davidson, April 2nd, 2017
« on: April 10, 2017, 04:34:25 pm »
First, allow my apology for only coming on this forum on rare occasions. My only excuse is that I have spent a lot of time on forums in the past and am very "burned out" with the format. Nothing against this forum and certainly nothing against Bill Buppert.

For those who don't know, Jim Davidson is a long time liberty activist and writer going all the way back into the 1970s. He is also my business partner in a start-up we are doing called Room4Freedom, originally titled Freedom BnB. (links at the end of this post)

Jim has been advised by his legal council to talk to no one about the events of April 2, until after the legal mess is cleared up. So what you are about to read is what I understand as the way the story happened. This is my version assembled out of my memory, having talked to Jim several times that day and being live with him on the Chain Reaction show when it happened. I may get some slight detail wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a solid version of the story.

On Sunday April 2, 2017 around 6pm, Jim was on his driveway cleaning his car preparing for a long trip. He had washed the car and was in the process of removing everything in the car that wasn't needed on the trip. As he was emptying the back seat out the woman across the street pull into her driveway of her house and began honking her horn over and over. Then after a short pause she began standing on her horn again. Shortly after that Jim noticed she was pulling out of her driveway and leaving. Without looking at her Jim flipper her off.

He thought the thing was over.

He then walked to the trunk of his car and began unloading it.

He removed items from the trunk, which included an ax, and carried them into his house, as he turned around to close the door he realized she had returned and now two guys were involved. One was across the street the other guy was at the edge of Jim's driveway.

Jim was standing inside his house at the open door holding several things including his ax. The guy at the end of Jim's driveway started yelling and threatening Jim and Jim's property. The guy then lifted his shirt revealing a pistol. Jim put the things he was holding on the floor and picked up a rifle that was near the door, however he made sure to keep the muzzle pointed at the floor.

When the man stopped yelling threats he returned across the street. Jim placed the rifle back where it had been and went out to secure his car and move it closer to the house.

Later Jim was on the Chain Reaction show and noticed cops on his porch. At that same time a call came on his phone from the Lawrence Kansas police. They asked him to open his door.

The rifle was no longer near the door as Jim had already placed it in the basement. So Jim opened the door and went out on the porch. They took him into custody. He sat in jail until Tuesday when he finally saw the judge who set his bail. He paid his bail and left jail. At first he was charged with 3 felony charges of "assault with a deadly weapon". But the judge dropped that to 1 charge when he set bail.

He is now looking at some incredible legal fees for a good attorney to get him out of this mess. It looks likely he will have to sell his home.

If anyone would like to contribute to his legal defense you can do so through our IndieGoGo account. Let us know when you do so, that you are donating to Jim's defense. Just email me at: ben @ badquaker.com We'll keep track and keep it separate from the other donations on the page.

Donate to Jim's defense here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/room4freedom-private-social-travel-app-freedom#/

Thanks so much for your help. If you can't contribute consider sharing this story and the link.

Ben Stone
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:24:13 pm by Bill »

BenStone

• Thrall
Re: The Arrest of Jim Davidson, April 2nd, 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:37:56 am »
Update: Kansas is a "Stand Your Ground" state. In order to be prosecuted, a hearing must first conclude that Jim was going beyond standing his ground, as he stood in his home in his doorway.

This strengthens Jim's case considerably, however he still needs an attorney to beat this charge. He has found several good attorneys that will take the case, but it's not going to be cheap. He still may have to sell his home.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:26:02 pm by Bill »

MamaLiberty

• Radningar
  • StarLord
  • Self owner - self responsible
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:35:17 am »
Having known Jim for a very long time, I'd suggest you get the rest of the story before collecting any money. PM if you want more info.
I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

The desire/compulsion to control the lives and property of others is the ROOT of all evil.

phaed

• StarLord
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »
so all this shit just randomly happened out of nowhere, for no reason?  and with that you, a stranger to me, are here asking for my money.  you and your buddy can go fuck yourselves.
[3.205x10^(-11)]%'er

Bill

• Radningar
  • StarLord
  • Founder & Publisher of Zero Gov
    • Zero Gov
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 04:27:48 pm »
and with that you, a stranger to me, are here asking for my money.  you and your buddy can go fuck yourselves.

Bo, a man can ask and I invited Ben on here as my friend. Once he puts a gun in your face and demands money, let me know. You and I will both resolve that issue side by side.

We all know what the "just-us" system can do.
Gun control is mind control.

"So no more running, I aim to misbehave.? - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity, 2005

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling in terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? [...] The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!" - Alexander Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago (Chapter 1, "Arrest")

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus

Ragnaroks!

AZRedhawk44

• Radningar
  • StarLord
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 07:44:15 pm »
I'm not going to drop colorful vernacular at you, Ben, for attempting to help someone who is your friend, but I will say that Jim has not exactly covered himself with glowing praiseworthy contributions here.

He has 10 posts here and they predominantly have a used car salesman and confidence man vibe to them.

Your name stands in good reputation from what I've heard about you as well as recommendations from Bill, and it raises Jim's by association a smidge above the threshold of where I might delete his account were he just a bit more pushy about his financial quick-schemes.

I'm sorry to say you're defending and looking out for someone with a bit of a reputation, but Jim earned his own reputation.

Glad to see you here, and learn your story!  I have copied your story to use in our business plan for Resilient Community Development, and for use in the plan for General Pet Services, as you suggested.

WTF? 

You should get in touch with Elias Alias over at The Mental Militia Forums. ... Elias is looking for funding for a movie project. Most of the ground work is already done, he just needs funding.

To quote my second eldest brother, "I will be dipped in shit and drizzled with Autumn leaves."  Elias Alias, bless my soul, is a pseudonym with which to conjure great things.  I met him a great many years ago in Three Forks, Montana.  There is almost certainly a login for "planetaryjim" on the Mental Militia Forums, and I have very certainly forgotten its particulars.  But I made have them stored on one of the encrypted drives I have around here.  Very cool.

It turns out that I looked extensively into a film and television deal last May, and was just sent a stack of business plans by a fellow in West Covina, California for a freedom-oriented film studio.  There are some possibilities for synergy, I do believe. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I very much appreciate the information.

Again, vaporware wheeling/dealing.

I am very interested in discovering how folks arrive at anarchy and abolition.  I would like to invite you to share your stories here. 

Dear Bill, I've told my story a number of ways on various web sites, fora, and apps.  People who have a keen interest in the subject of my movement from 1980 when I supported John Anderson's campaign for president to 1988 when I voted for Ron Paul as the Libertarian party candidate for president to 1992 when I refused to vote might like one of my books.  There's one found at Amazon.com called Being Sovereign, one found at Lulu.com called Being Libertarian, one found at BadQuaker.com called Space Scouts Field Manual Parody, and one that simply isn't found because I don't make copies available.

In high school, in addition to work on the John Anderson for president campaign, I joined an anti-slavery group called Committee Against Registration and the Draft, or CARD.  After graduating high school, delivering the valedictory speech on the topic of "Declaring our Independence" and cribbing heavily from the Declaration of Independence, I went off to New York City to study at Columbia University for four long boring years.  I studied economics, astrophysics, and history.  As a freshman, I joined a group called Students Against Militarism (SAM) and another group called Young Americans for Freedom (YAF).  I was definitely the only member of both SAM and YAF, but it made perfect sense to me.  At YAF meetings I would tuck my hair up under my baseball cap.

My sophomore year was somewhat more interesting, in that my buddy Carmi Weinzweig, then a freshman, and I started a joint chapter of the Planetary Society and the L5 Society.  I travelled to Boston to meet Chris Petersen and K. Eric Drexler to get their support for this new group.  Among other amusements, Carmi and I launched a model rocket from the sundial in the centre of Columbia's campus. 

In November 1982, another sophomore named Sean Bender complained to me one day about how boring his job at work was.  He worked at a check processing facility for a bank in Midtown.  It paid pretty good, and he really liked his boss, and when he told me that he was asked by his boss, Mike Toohey, to find a replacement for himself, I volunteered to go interview.  Thus, although I did participate in the "Die In to Protest Nuclear War" activity of SAM, which involved about two thousand students falling down all over campus at noon one day and playing dead for ten minutes, I was otherwise not active.  So, in May 1983, when Barack Obama published his famous Sundial Magazine article about SAM and other campus anti-war groups, I was not featured.  I was, however, interviewed on campus by Barry, who wanted to know all about me. 

I explained that I was not going to be active in SAM because of my job at the bank, where I had been promoted to weekend shift "team leader."  Also, I did not feel comfortable with the Maoist who was going to be the chairman of SAM the next year.  I feel confident these notes made it into Barry's reports to the CIA.  I sometimes mention this conversation when anyone brings up Wayne Allyn Root's statement that he never met Obama on campus.  Well, I did, and it wasn't much of a thing.

After college, I went to Rice University for an MBA in marketing and entrepreneurship.  That led me to L5 Houston which I joined in October 1985, and to a summer internship with Space Services Incorporated of America.

My anti-war views and my pro-freedom views combined with all the many things I learned about the corruption at NASA and in other space agencies (NOAA, DoD, etc.) during my career with Space Services to bring me fully over to the Libertarian party.  It was clear to me in 1988 that George Herbert Walker Bush was a madman intent on destroying the world with slavery and war, so voting for Dr. Paul seemed like a good move. 

The next year, 1989, I left Space Services because their management couldn't find a way for me to purchase even a single share of stock.  I worked for Microsatellite Launch Systems, a Peter Diamandis flop that did let me accept some of my compensation in stock - which I later sold for a nickel a share.  That's how I met Walt Anderson and Carlos Gardellini.  Then in May 1990, someone asked a question.

My erstwhile friend Gary Oleson told my very good friend Howard Stringer, who was then president of the Houston Space Society (which was L5 Houston under the merged "National Space Society") to ask people at our monthly mailing party a particular question.  The mailing party was at my house that month, and we assembled about 1,100 copies of a 16-page newsletter.  Nice.  The question was, "What could the Houston Space Society do in the next ten years that would, more than any other thing we could do, change the way people think about space?"

Now, at the time, Art Dula was travelling to Moscow pretty often for Space Commerce Corp, negotiating the launch of various satellites on Russian rockets.  John Denver had refused to pay $10 million to visit Mir, but a British woman was selected by a British advertising agency to fly to the Russian space station Mir.  And a Japanese journalist named Toyohiro Akiyama would fly in December 1990.  These facts were all known to everyone in the room.  So I said, "We could put a member of the Houston Space Society in space."

From that answer, David Mayer, Howard Stringer, and I began Space Travel Services.  Which led to David's and my arrest on false and defamatory charges of "felony gambling promotion of a lottery" in February 1991.  As a result of further negotiations and discussions, the Texas attorney general and the Harris County district attorney, as well as David and I all agreed to an "agreed injunction" which said: we had not been engaged in a lottery but a sweepstakes; our business had been ruined by state intervention and we agreed to stop doing the sweepstakes project; they agreed not to charge us with felony gambling promotion of a lottery; we agreed not to do sweepstakes projects in Texas ever again.  All that in May 1991, at which point I filed personal bankruptcy.  I lost my house two years later after more reverses.

These were the events that moved me solidly from the libertarian political camp to anarchism.  In December 1993, I went off to Las Vegas to work with Eric Klien and Chuck Geshlider on their Atlantis Project.  Which is another story.

And a pretty heavy history of it.

I'm glad he has you as a friend to count on, Ben.  Because he hasn't done well in gaining the trust of many of us here.  I really wish him the best and don't want to see any man victimized by the State or by individual actors.  I'm heartily distrustful of any "internet personalities" unless I have extensive personal dealings with them; "celebritarians" seem to only be capable of thriving on the donations of the libertarian/anarchist fan base, which they solicit with great frequency.

kathleenwilhoitd

• Drang
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:33:29 pm »
First, allow my apology for only coming on this forum on rare occasions. My only excuse is that I have spent a lot of time on forums in the past and am very "burned out" with the format. Nothing against this forum and certainly nothing against Bill Buppert.

For those who don't know, Jim Davidson is a long time liberty activist and writer going all the way back into the 1970s. He is also my business partner in a start-up we are doing called Room4Freedom, originally titled Freedom BnB. (links at the end of this post)

Jim has been advised by his legal council to talk to no one about the events of April 2, until after the legal mess is cleared up. So what you are about to read is what I understand as the way the story happened. This is my version assembled out of my memory, having talked to Jim several times that day and being live with him on the Chain Reaction show when it happened. I may get some slight detail wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a solid version of the story.

On Sunday April 2, 2017 around 6pm, Jim was on his driveway cleaning his car preparing for a long trip. He had washed the car and was in the process of removing everything in the car that wasn't needed on the trip. As he was emptying the back seat out the woman across the street pull into her driveway of her house and began honking her horn over and over. Then after a short pause she began standing on her horn again. Shortly after that Jim noticed she was pulling out of her driveway and leaving. Without looking at her Jim flipper her off.

He thought the thing was over.

He then walked to the trunk of his car and began unloading it.

He removed items from the trunk, which included an ax, and carried them into his house, as he turned around to close the door he realized she had returned and now two guys were involved. One was across the street the other guy was at the edge of Jim's driveway.

Jim was standing inside his house at the open door holding several things including his ax. The guy at the end of Jim's driveway started yelling and threatening Jim and Jim's property. The guy then lifted his shirt revealing a pistol. Jim put the things he was holding on the floor and picked up a rifle that was near the door, however he made sure to keep the muzzle pointed at the floor.

When the man stopped yelling threats he returned across the street. Jim placed the rifle back where it had been and went out to secure his car and move it closer to the house.

Later Jim was on the Chain Reaction show and noticed cops on his porch. At that same time a call came on his phone from the Lawrence Kansas police. They asked him to open his door.

The rifle was no longer near the door as Jim had already placed it in the basement. So Jim opened the door and went out on the porch. They took him into custody. He sat in jail until Tuesday when he finally saw the judge who set his bail. He paid his bail and left jail. At first he was charged with 3 felony charges of "assault with a deadly weapon". But the judge dropped that to 1 charge when he set bail.

He is now looking at some incredible legal fees for a good attorney to get him out of this mess. It looks likely he will have to sell his home.

If anyone would like to contribute to his legal defense you can do so through our IndieGoGo account. Let us know when you do so, that you are donating to Jim's defense. Just email me at: ben @ badquaker.com We'll keep track and keep it separate from the other donations on the page.

Donate to Jim's defense here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/room4freedom-private-social-travel-app-freedom#/

Thanks so much for your help. If you can't contribute consider sharing this story and the link.

Ben Stone
I can't tell how to donate? I went to the link but looks like I'm buying a room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaLiberty

• Radningar
  • StarLord
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:47 am »
Davidson is a con artist and probable sociopath. You notice he posted only to promote himself and his schemes, not to join in the community. I'm sorry you got taken in, Ben. Talk to me if you want the truth.

The desire/compulsion to control the lives and property of others is the ROOT of all evil.

pelletfarmer

• StarLord
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:12 am »
Speaking of "stand your ground" and castle doctrine...

Marvin Louis Guy.  Easily the biggest case of our time IMO, with the Kevorkian case a distant second.  Good Guys lost that one and have already lost plenty in this one.  He remains in prison awaiting trial AFAIK, a mere three years after the incident...in my mind as a POW.

As I suspected, it appears he's not the greatest of souls...felony convictions and so on.  Thing is, that makes the case even more important as it distills out the cornerstone question of whether or not a free man may defend what's his.  IMO that this question is even being asked indicates that we're in deeper doo-doo than most people acknowledge.

MamaLiberty

• Radningar
  • StarLord
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:29 am »
cornerstone question of whether or not a free man may defend what's his.

Given, of course. The problem is that we have no idea what really happened.

pelletfarmer

• StarLord
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:06 am »
> The problem is that we have no idea what really happened.

I assume you're not talking about Marvin Louis Guy, cuz enough is known there in this case.  Easily.

MamaLiberty

• Radningar
  • StarLord
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:39:25 am »
Marvin Louis Guy? Never heard of him. Not who I'm talking about.

pelletfarmer

• StarLord
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 10:42:29 am »
> Marvin Louis Guy? Never heard of him.

There's a reason for that.  Goin' on 3 years now.  Easily the most important case currently.  Historic, and the Bad Guys have won every step of the way so far.

MamaLiberty

• Radningar
  • StarLord
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 11:06:55 am »
> Marvin Louis Guy? Never heard of him.

There's a reason for that.  Goin' on 3 years now.  Easily the most important case currently.  Historic, and the Bad Guys have won every step of the way so far.

Do you have a link to any useful account of this? I don't look at much MSM "news" anymore... so I'd not have seen it even if they covered it.

pelletfarmer

• StarLord
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 01:45:24 pm »
A google search of his name will bring up all you need.  It's a simple story and there aren't many recent links anyway.  An interesting side-note of the story is how (little) information has been made available.